A511.1.3.RB - Leadership vs. Management
As I reflect back to the leader who inspires me, I think
about our conversations and realize that he inspires me because I believe in
him and the cause, or the “why” as to what he believes in. He continuously
reminds me that leadership abilities and traits in my line of work is critical
because our subordinates look to us in time of need for guidance and direction.
His philosophies and beliefs has made me branch out and continue to carry out
his work. He allowed me to find my passion of taking care of my subordinates,
ensuring that I always give back to my soldiers, and to always put the agenda
of my organization before myself.
I think about the distinction between managerial and
leadership traits and how they tie in to each other. I have been told that
there is a significant difference between being a manager and a leader. For
example, a manager of a division manages resources, answers data calls, and
establishes policies and procedures. A manager has a “birds-eye” view of the
organization and establishes a vision for the organization.
A leader on the other hand, has a more hands-on involvement
in day to day operations, and provides guidance to his subordinates to ensure
that the mission is accomplished successfully that will ultimately achieve the
vision of the organization. I believe that giving ownership to those around you
who assist in the decision making process allows for great team building for
the organization and allows for accountability across the board, where if a
decision outcome fails its not just one person to blame but for the team as a
whole to realize what went wrong and fix the issue as a team.
I believe that a manager can also be an effective leader.
Ensuring both long term and short term goals for the organization are met. I
can also see being an effective leader/manager as a great hybrid for an
organization or business. It is highly beneficial to bring on the arsenal of
critical thinking when making decisions by asking the “Why?” in everything that
needs to be done to ensure that all the stakeholders have true understanding of
the outcomes and impacts of what is being done.
In Mintzberg’s managerial roles concept I see the Leader
role tying into a one of the roles from my experience. The leader role I know
ties into the disseminator role depending on the individual. For me as a leader
and a manager disseminating roles and tasks is the best way to lighten my work
load at work. I ensure that I still tie in the leader role checking up on my
staff on receiving updates, assisting if and when needed, and ensuring they are
able to meet their deadlines.
Simon Sinek’s video of “why” is a presentation
that leaders should watch. The order of why, how, and what is a great tool to
inspire those who work for and with you. I firmly believe that “why” of
leadership should be considered in managerial work because you will be able to
give access of acceptance for those who work under you. The concept of being a
part of a team gives a great boost of morale in the workplace which motivates and
encourages workers to want to come to work. However, I believe it can be a
double edge sword for the belief into a leader’s why because of the personal
agenda that individual may have. It may just benefit him or her on an
individual level instead of the organization or business. That is the only flaw
I see that should be looked at when it comes down to the overall vision.
No comments:
Post a Comment