A511.6.3.RB _Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Meaning
When I reflect on why leaders need
to create a “cause” or “meaning” in the aspect to leading change I immediately
think to “purpose”. Me as a leader when I try to influence change (for the
good) in my subordinates lives whether at home or at the work place I always
look for that purpose. “Cause” to me, is something that gives individuals
influence, motivation, and a sense of vision to a goal or what I call an
external factor. “Meaning” on the other hand, is the more spiritual, the
individual person aspect, or the Internal factor to change. As I read the
quotes and HRB blog to combine them and relate them to each other I would have
to say that leadership needs “meaning” in its direction to accomplish goals and
objectives.
The HBR Blog was quite interesting.
Giving subordinates meaning in their work or simply to inspire them is the main
concept of this article from what I got. “Programs that encouraged employees to
take initiative and contribute to change have a five times higher success rate
than those with a purely top-down thrust” (Nieuwoudt, M., & Rudman, R.2015)
Subordinates necessarily just need direction and the why when leading change. Pat
Zingarmi stated that “People don’t resist change, they resist being controlled”
with just simply knowing the why change is occurring can get subordinates
involved and feeling apart of the team (The Ken Blanchard Companies 2009).
When I transfer from one unit to
the other and in front of new soldiers I generally try to establish ground with
them individually. I know their previous platoon leader had his leadership
style and philosophies however I have to ensure that they understand mine and
are willing to accept the change I bring to the team. I notify them of my
commander’s intentions and philosophies so that they too understand during
training why we do what we do. Information, Personal, Implementation,
Collaboration, Impact, and Refinement concerns (The Ken Blanchard Companies
2009) as Pat ZIngarmi explained, I can safely say that I have used three of the
six in my line of work. I am able to give them (subordinates) the information
they need when I come in with change, I can explain to them at a personal level
of why the change is good for them, and implementation on how I would disseminate
and approach this change with my subordinates.
Dave and Wendy Ulrich, co-authors of The Why of Work have said, “In
organizations, meaning and abundance are more about what we do with what we
have than about what we have to begin with.” I interpret this quote with being
able to create meaning even with little to no resources and being able to push
forward with the vision by thinking critically on how to accomplish it.
In his famous book Man's
Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl posits that it "is
a peculiarity of man that he must have something significant yet to do in his
life, for that is what gives meaning to life" (2004, p. 56). I interpret this
quote as having passion towards an objective or goal, having a purpose to do
what one desires especially in a leadership role and all that does is become
contagious to his subordinates.
Kouzes and Posner write in The Leadership Challenge: "The
executive must find a way to communicate the vision in a way that attracts and
excites members of the organization" (1987, p. 106). With this quote I
interpret this must find a way to enthusiastically provide vision for an
organization when going through change. “For any team to work in the same
direction, the team must know the direction that the company is moving into and
feel a connection to this common vision or theme” (Nieuwoudt, M., & Rudman,
R. 2015).
References:
The Ken Blanchard Companies. (2009, May 20). Pat Zigarmi -
Leading change. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTZEnSvZPqc&feature (Links to an external site.)
Nieuwoudt, M., & Rudman, R. (2015). LEADING CHANGE WHILE
CREATING VALUE. Accountancy SA, , 40-41. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1660935915?accountid=27203
No comments:
Post a Comment