A511.7.3.RB _Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Self-Awareness
As I self-reflect on myself in the aspect of my leadership style, I
tend to deviate from the crowd and do my own thing. I care more about my
subordinates (soldiers) more than myself. I ensure that their well-being is
taken care of, I sacrifice my family time to help them, and I tend to not take
care of myself at times when I really need to do so. “As they interact with
others, leaders seem better able to learn how they are seen and how they can
actively shape others’ perceptions in the formation of their identity” (Goffee,
R., & Jones, G. 2006) with that being said, my perception from my soldiers,
peers, superiors, to include myself is someone who is genuine, hardworking, and
cares more about my organization than myself. I was told at times that can be a
danger to me, because I will fall off track of taking care of myself.
"Being aware of oneself, including one's traits,
feelings, and behaviors, Self-awareness is not only about the individual
leader, but the impact the leader has on others” (Beagle, M. H., J.R. 2012) I
believe this to be true because when you see both negative and positive aspects
of yourself you will be able to adjust your presence, leadership approach, and
traits to have that certain relationship with your subordinates to better the
entire organization. It allows you to become humble, keeps you grounded, and
not lose sight of what is important.
I am the type of person that grew up and raised around
family, respect, honor, legacies, and the list can go on about the values I
hold to my heart. Having self-awareness into the leaders work and output, and
creating a trusting relationship with followers (Yukl, 2013). Whenever I tend
to drift off course and think a little bit bigger than myself, I always have
those traits to pull me back to reality and remember why I do what I do. I
think that is what separates me from the rest of my peers and superiors. Which
in addition is why I have a great relationship (From what I am told from
others) with my subordinates. “Competent
people in positions of leadership create a self -reality of their own that is
quite different from the reality shared by others” (Beagle, M. H., J.R. 2012).
What helps me conduct self-awareness within my leadership is
conducting surveys. Vineet described that he conducts a 360 degree assessment
for employees to conduct and allows the employees to see it one puts
accountability in the higher management and allows for trust ( as he stated
“pushing the envelope”) from the employees which allows for better performance
results within the organization (Harvard Business. 2010). In the Army we have a
system that allows us to send a survey out to 5 of our subordinates, peers, and
superiors that describe the type of leader we are, whether we are too harsh,
too nice, we are negligent, and so on and so forth. The survey actually takes 5
minutes to complete and helps the leader either change for the better or for
them to ignore (which in some cases actually happens), that is why am fortunate to be in the career I am in.
Having self-awareness into the leaders work and output, and
creating a trusting relationship with followers (Yukl, 2013) is a term that I
like when I read it. I always look at my work ethic and the results I receive
through awards, leadership advancement, and other personal accolades. Through
that my success comes from my subordinates, without them I would not be in the
position I am in today.
References:
Beagle, M. H., J.R. (2012). SELF-AWARENESS: THE KEY TO
SUCCESSFUL LEADERSHIP. Infantry, 101(3), 19-20. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/1267125048?accountid=27203
Goffee, R., & Jones, G. (2006). Getting personal on the
topic of leadershipPreview the documentView in a new window. Human Resource
Management International Digest , 14 (4), 32-34.
Harvard Business Review. (2010). Put Your Employees First.
[Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrBq-c5QYE&feature=youtu.be&t=21s (Links
to an external site.)
Yukl, G. (2013). Ethical, Servant, Spiritual, and Authentic
Leadership. In Leadership in organizations. (8th
ed). (pp. 341, 349). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
No comments:
Post a Comment